The flashlight feature on the iPhone 14 Plus is a useful tool that allows users to illuminate their surroundings in low light conditions. However, it can be frustrating when the flashlight feature does not work as expected. In this article, I’ll explain the reasons why flashlight is not working on your iPhone 14 Plus and show you how to fix the problem.
Note: information in this article apply to iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
Why is flashlight not working on iPhone 14 Plus?
Before discussing the solutions to fix flashlight not working on iPhone 14 Plus issue, it is essential to understand the possible causes of the problem. Here are some of the most common reasons why flashlight is not working on your iPhone 14 Plus:
One of the most common reasons why the flashlight feature is not working on your iPhone 14 Plus is due to software glitches. This can happen when the iPhone’s software becomes outdated or corrupted, which can lead to issues with the flashlight feature.
Sometimes, the problem may not be with the software, but with the hardware itself. A damaged or faulty LED flash can prevent the iPhone 14 Plus flashlight from functioning properly.
Physical damage to the iPhone can also cause flashlight to malfunction. Dropping the iPhone or exposing it to water or other liquids can cause hardware damage that can affect the flashlight.
Some third-party apps may be interfering with the flashlight feature on your iPhone 13, causing it to malfunction.
Now that you know possible reasons why flashlight is not working on your iPhone 14 Plus, let’s move on to the solutions.
How to fix iPhone 14 Plus flashlight not working issue
Solution 1: Restart Your iPhone
A simple restart can help resolve any temporary glitches or software-related issues that may be causing the iPhone 14 Plus flashlight not to work. To force restart your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the side button and either volume button until the slider appears.
- Drag the slider to turn your iPhone off.
- Once your iPhone is off, press and hold the side button again until the Apple logo appears.
- Wait for your iPhone to restart.
Once your iPhone has restarted, check to see if the flashlight is working.
Solution 2: Force Restart Your iPhone
If checking for software updates did not resolve the flashlight issue, the next solution is to force restart your iPhone 14 Plus. A force restart can resolve minor software glitches and clear any temporary issues that may be causing the flashlight not to work. Here are the steps to force restart iPhone 14 Plus:
To force restart your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Once your iPhone 14 Plus restarts, check if the flashlight is working correctly. If it’s still not working, move on to the next solution.
Solution 3: Update Your iPhone
The next solution to fix the flashlight not working on iPhone 14 Plus issue is to check for software updates. Apple releases regular updates that fix bugs and improve device performance. Therefore, updating your iPhone 14 Plus to the latest version can resolve the flashlight issue. Here are the steps to check for software updates:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap General, then tap Software Update.
- If an update is available, tap Download and Install.
- Enter your passcode if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to update your iPhone.
Once the update is complete, check if the flashlight is working correctly. If not, move on to the next solution.
Solution 4: Reset All Settings on Your iPhone
If the above solutions did not resolve flashlight not working on iPhone 14 Plus issue, the next solution is to reset all settings on your device. Resetting all settings will clear any customized settings that may be causing the iPhone 14 Plus flashlight not to work. Here are the steps to reset all settings:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap General, then scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Reset All Settings and enter your passcode if prompted.
- Confirm that you want to reset all settings by tapping Reset All Settings again.
Once the reset is complete, check if the flashlight is working correctly. If not, move on to the next solution.
Solution 5: Restore Your iPhone to Factory Settings
If none of the above solutions has fixed your iPhone 14 Plus flashlight not working issue, restoring your device may be necessary. Restoring the iPhone will erase all data and media from the device, so it is recommended to back up the iPhone before restoring it. To restore the iPhone, follow these steps:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes or Finder (depending on your operating system).
- Select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes or Finder.
- Click the Restore iPhone button and confirm that you want to restore your iPhone to its factory settings.
Once the restore is complete, set up your iPhone as a new device and check if the flashlight is working correctly. If the flashlight is still not working, it may be a hardware issue, and you should take your iPhone to an Apple Store or authorized repair center.
Solution 6: Check Flashlight Settings
Another possible reason why your iPhone 14 Plus flashlight is not working is because the flashlight feature is turned off in the settings. To check if this is the case, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Control Center.
- Select Customize Controls.
- Here, you’ll see a list of controls that can be added or removed from the Control Center. Look for the flashlight icon and make sure it’s toggled on (green). If it’s not, tap the “ ” button next to it to add it to the Control Center.
Once you’ve added the flashlight to the Control Center, swipe down from the top right of your screen to access the Control Center and tap the flashlight icon to turn it on. If the flashlight still doesn’t work, move on to the next solution.
Solution 7: Clean the camera lens
The flashlight on the iPhone 14 Plus is located next to the rear camera lens. If the camera lens is dirty or obstructed, it can cause the flashlight to not work correctly. To clean the camera lens, follow these steps:
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the camera lens gently.
- If there are stubborn stains or dirt, use a microfiber cloth or a lens cleaning solution.
- After cleaning the camera lens, check if the flashlight feature is working correctly.
Solution 8: Check the hardware
If non of the above solutions has worked, it could indicate a hardware issue on your iPhone 14 Plus. To check the hardware, follow these steps:
- Open the Camera app on your iPhone.
- Switch to the rear camera and take a photo.
- Check if the photo is blurry or has any visible issues.
- If the photo is blurry or has any issues, it could indicate a problem with the camera module, which can also affect the flashlight.
- In this case, it is recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an authorized service center to get the device checked and repaired if necessary.
Solution 9: Try a third-party flashlight app
If none of the above steps work, you can try using a third-party flashlight app. There are several flashlight apps available in the App Store that can be used as a replacement for the built-in flashlight on your iPhone 14 Plus. Simply search for “flashlight” in the App Store, and download and install the app of your choice.
Solution 10: Contact Apple Support
If the above solutions did not fix your iPhone 14 Plus flashlight not working issue, there may be a hardware issue with the device. In this case, the best solution is to contact Apple Support for assistance. Apple Support can diagnose the issue and provide a solution, which may include repairing or replacing your iPhone 14 Plus.
In conclusion, the flashlight not working issue on iPhone 14 Plus can be caused by several factors, including software glitches, physical damage, faulty hardware, and third-party app interference. By following the solutions outlined above, you can fix the flashlight not working issue and ensure that your iPhone 14 Plus’s flashlight functionality is restored.